2015 World Standings
Born: Oct. 15, 1968, in Myrtle Point, Ore.
Joined the WPRA: 1995
Residence: Terrebonne, Ore.
Horse: Judge My Fame “Dora” (13-year old mare) – Sire: Dash Ta Fame/Dam: Flashy Cashy Cat
World titles: 0
Wrangler NFR qualifications: 6 (2007-12)
Tour Finale titles: 1 (2010- Puyallup)
Tour Finale qualifications: 13
Omaha Finale: 2006-09
Championship Finale: 2006-08
Education: Walla Walla (Wash.) Community College, associate’s degree in business
• Finished the year ranked 28th in the world with $42,383
• Won the North Idaho Fair & Rodeo (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho)
• Finished second at Eugene (Ore.) Pro Rodeo
• Finished second at the Red Desert Roundup (Rock Springs, Wyo.)
• Finished second at the Crooked River Round-Up (Prineville, Ore.)
• Finished second at the Central Point (Ore.) Wild Rogue Pro Rodeo
• 2014 - Finished 16th in the world with $70,017; won the Kern County Fair Rodeo (Bakersfield, Calif.), the Cheyenne (Wyo.) Frontier Days Rodeo, St. Paul (Ore.) Rodeo and the Central Point (Ore.) Wild Rogue Pro Rodeo
• 2013 – Finished the year ranked 18th in the world with $60,878; won the Lynden (Wash. ) PRCA Rodeo, the Northwest Montana ProRodeo (Kalispell), the Molalla (Ore.) Buckeroo Rodeo and the Ponoka (Alberta) Stampede
• 2012 – Won the Wrangler NFR average title for first time in her career after finishing with a total time of 141.79 seconds on 10 runs. Won a total of $55,950 at the NFR after placing in two rounds and first in the average. Finished the year ranked seventh with $137,478. Won McCord (Saskatchewan) Indoor Pro Rodeo, the Lynden (Wash.) PRCA Rodeo, Medicine Hat (Alberta) Stampede and the Wild Rogue Pro Rodeo (Central Point, Ore.)
• 2011 – Finished the ranked 7th with $120,269. Placed in just one round at the Wrangler NFR but was third in the average race, winning $32,308; on the Klamath Falls (Ore.) Great NW PRCA Rodeo, the World’s Oldest Rodeo (Prescott, Ariz.) for the second straight year, the Molalla (Ore.) Buckaroo Rodeo, the Sisters (Ore.) Rodeo and the Wild Rogue Pro Rodeo (Central Point, Ore.); Finished second at the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo (Denver).
• 2010 – Finished the year ranked 6th in the world standings with $144,593. Placed in five out of 10 rounds at the Wrangler NFR and won Rd. 6 in a time of 13.80 seconds; was fifth in the average and won $44,345 at the Wrangler NFR; on the Columbia River Circuit Finals (year-end and average titles) and qualified for the DNCFR, the Justin Boots Playoffs (Puyallup, Wash.), the Lewiston (Idaho) Roundup, the Walla Walla (Wash.) Frontier Days Rodeo, the Chief Joseph (Ore.) Days Rodeo, the Farm City Pro Rodeo (Hermiston, Ore.), the World’s Oldest Rodeo (Prescott, Ariz.), the Cody (Wyo.) Stampede, the Eugene (Ore.) Rodeo, the Crooked River Roundup (Prineville, Ore.) and the Wild Rogue Pro Rodeo (Central Point, Ore.) nad the Rowell Ranch Rodeo (Hayward, Calif.).
• 2009 – Entered the Wrangler NFR in sixth but finished the 2009 season ranked 12th with $81,523. Finished eighth in the average but didn’t place in any of the 10 rounds, won only $4,147 at the NFR. Won the year-end and average title at the Dodge Columbia River Circuit Finals (Redmond, Ore.). Won the Klamath Falls (Ore.) Great NW PRCA Rodeo, the Larimer County Fair and Rodeo (Loveland, Colo.), the Wild Rogue Rodeo (Central Point, Ore.), and the Clovis (Calif.) Rodeo.
• 2008 – Placed in two out of 10 rounds at the Wrangler NFR. Finished the year ranked eighth with $109,250. Was sixth in the average at the NFR and won $19,301; won the Dodge Columbia River Circuit Finals, the Lynden (Wash.) PRCA Rodeo, the Thunder Mountain Pro Rodeo (Longview, Wash.), the Home of Champions (Red Lodge, Mont.), the Crooked River Round-Up (Prineville, Ore.), the Wild Rogue Pro Rodeo (Central Point, Ore.) and the Southeastern Livestock Expo Rodeo (Montgomery, Ala.); was co-champion at the Salem (Ore.) Rodeo.
• 2007 – Won the Dodge Columbia River Circuit Finals Rodeo (Redmond, Ore.), the Kitsap County Fair & Stampede (Bremerton, Wash.), the Omak (Wash.) Stampede, the Larimer County Fair and Rodeo (Loveland, Colo.), the Toppenish (Wash.) Pow Wow and Rodeo, the Last Chance Stampede (Helena, Mont.), the California Rodeo Salinas, the Klamath Falls (Ore.) Great NW Pro Rodeo, the Sisters (Ore.) Rodeo, and the Coulee City (Wash.) Last Stand Rodeo. Finished the year ranked ninth in the world with $99,197.
• 2006 - Tied for the win in the Wrangler ProRodeo Tour Round at the Puyallup (Wash.) Rodeo; won the Salem (Ore.) Rodeo and the Chief Joseph (Ore.) Days Rodeo.
• Four-time qualifier for the Dodge Columbia River Circuit Finals Rodeo.
NIRA National Breakaway champion, 1992; NPRA Barrel Racing and Women’s All-Around champion, 2005.
Horse, Jethro, finished third in the AQHA/WPRA Barrel Horse of the Year race, 2008 and was second in 2009 and was first in 2010. Jethro passed away on May 6, 2014.
Husband, Andy Easterly (PRCA steer wrestler and owns Easterly Fencing Co.); son, Kyle…Her mom, Lynne Mays, won the GRA rookie of the year title and qualified for the NFR in 1975 and finished 12th overall. She travels with Brenda quite often. Her father, Frank, competed in the PRCA as did her grandfather, Rich Vredenburg. Her father used to work in heavy equipment but is now retired and her mother is a horse trainer. She has one sister…Brenda’s other occupation is a horse trainer…Her nickname is “Willy” Mays Hays. She got that from Brad Goodrich when they were in college together…Got involved in rodeo through her family and began competing in 1976...On May 6, 2014, her 15-year old legendary black gelding Judge Buy Cash “Jethro” passed away. He carried her to her NFR qualifications from 2006-2012 and her first average title in 2012. The Mays family had purchased Jethro as a yearling and Brenda’s mom Lynne trained him…Her rodeo superstition is “Don’t pick up any rodeo checks until the event is over”…Graduated from high school in Myrtle Point where she participated in basketball, volleyball and track…Favorite sports teams are the New York Yankees, the Green Bay Packers and the Miami Heat, favorite rodeo is Pendleton, Ore., because it is so unique, favorite food is Chinese, favorite type of music is 80’s rock, and favorite book is the Bible…Enjoys playing X-Box while on the road…Rodeo idols are Jimmie Munroe and Jerri Mann.