2013 Wrangler NFR:
2013 World Standings
2013 Wrangler NFR
Born: Nov. 12, 1967 in Park Rapids, Minn.
Residence: Backus, Minn.
Joined WPRA: 2002
Horse: First Down Perk "Perkulees," (13-year old black gelding) - Sire: First Down Expected/Dam: Perking Cash; HPQ Smokin Rascal "Rascal," (8-year old sorrel gelding) - Sire: Una Frio Cerveza/Dam: Miss Smokin Annie
World titles: 0
Wrangler NFR qualifications: 2 (2011, 2013)
Education: University of Findley (Ohio) - received an Associates in Arts Degree in Equestrian Studies
• Placed in five out of 10 rounds at the Wrangler NFR.
• Won the West Texas Fair & Rodeo (Abilene, Texas)
• Won Spokane (Wash.) Interstate Rodeo
• Won the Ellensburg (Wash.) Rodeo
• Won the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo (Denver, Colo.)
• 2012 - Finished the year ranked 33rd with $32,043. Won Dayton (Iowa) Championship Rodeo and Athens (Texas) MDA Rodeo.
• 2011 - Qualified for her first Wrangler NFR and became the first WPRA barrel racer from Minnesota to qualify.Placed in four out of 10 rounds winning three rounds; entered in 11th place and finished the season ranked 6th. Entered the finals with $63,283 in 2011 earnings and finished with $122,994.; finished second in the average at the Pendleton (Ore.) Round-up; won the Walker County Fair & Rodeo (Huntsville, Texas), the Jasper (Alberta) Heritage Rodeo, and A Tribute to Chris Ledoux (Casper, Wyo.)
• 2008 - Competed at the WPRA World Finals in the Futurity division with Lion Share of Fame.
Minnesota High School Rodeo Association State Champion (1983-1986 - only won to win all four years); IPRA World champion (1993) and NBHA 1D World champion (1999)
Won the Scoti Flit Bar Rising Star Award for RC Black in Black "Beauty" at the 2011 Wrangler NFR. Won the Jerry Ann Taylor Best Dressed Award at the 2014 Ft. Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.
Husband, Ryan (PRCA member as well as a horse shoer and trainer); son Colton (15-years old competes in National Junior High Rodeo); daughter, Cayla (14-years old - also competes in National Junior High Rodeo). Colton was the 2011 National Junior High Finals Rodeo Ribbon Roping champion, while Cayla won the barrel racing title at the National Junior High Finals Rodeo in 2010. Colton and Cayla are also team roping partners and they were the Minnesota State Champions in 2011. Colton won the Minnesota all-around cowboy, while Cayla was the all-around cowgirl…Spends her time teaching clinics, giving lessons and training horses…Parents are Robert Meech, a farmer and mother Susan Krull, a retired hair dresser. Has two brothers Troy and Todd and Troy is a PRCA member…Purchased her horse Beauty in August of 2010 from a lady she was helping with lessons. Her goal was to make it to the NFR as she knew Beauty had it in him to make it from the first time she saw him. They have about 70 horses at their ranch…She is a dairy farmer's daughter so when little she would ride horses to chase the dairy cows. Her father had an interest in rodeo so when she was in the eighth grade he let her enter an open rodeo close to home and the rest was history…Graduated from high school in Sebaka, Minn….Favorite rodeo is Pendleton, favorite food is Mahi Mahi and Greek salad, favorite book is the Bible, favorite movie is Fireproof, favorite restaurant is Texas Roadhouse, and enjoys listening to Christian music…For more information on her clinics visit www.janemelby.com.